Membership: Area Studies added
Area studies are added to complement research committees. In principle, PhISO focuses on the Philippines and its role in the study of the ‘international’.
We encourage PhISO members to have an area study in International Relations, where they also learn Philippine relations with the following regions:
- AS1 – Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- AS2 – East Asia (primarily China, Japan, and Korea)
- AS3 – Organization of American States (primarily the USA and Canada)
- AS4 – European Union (EU)
- AS5 – Middle East and North Africa (primarily GCC countries, Israel, Iran and Turkey)
- AS6 – Oceania (primarily Australia and New Zealand)
- AS7 – Commonwealth of Independent States (primarily Russia)
- AS8 – South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (primarily India and Pakistan)
- AS9 – Comunidad de Estados Latinoamericanos y Caribeños (primarily Brazil and Venezuela)
- AS10 – African Union (primarily South Africa and Ethiopia)
It is envisioned that in the near future each area study will have subdomain, which host a blog that discusses research collaborations and publications. Each area study is analyzed based on research committees where the member belongs to.