The Department of International Affairs at Vesalius College Brussels invites applications for a full-time position at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning 1 August 2016. Applications from candidates with a background and expertise in one or more of the following areas are particularly welcome: peace & security studies, regionalism (e.g. expertise in the politics and international relations of one or more of the following regions: Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Asia) and history of International Relations. In line with the department’s emphasis on “TPEL” (Theory-Guided, Practice-Embedded and Experiential Learning) candidates should have a strong background and interest in theory-guided and policy-oriented work from a European and Global perspective. The position is envisaged to be permanent, in the case of a positive evaluation after the first year.
Main Responsibilities and Scope of the Position
The newly recruited Assistant Professor International Affairs will:
- Teach core undergraduate courses in the fields of International Affairs, International Relations and European/Global Studies (annual course load is 30ECTS, which corresponds to 5 courses per year), covering the broad themes of peace & security, regional approaches to International Relations and history of International Relations
- Contribute to the Department’s internationally peer-reviewed research and grant acquisitions
- Actively contribute to the College’s new initiatives in innovative teaching and institutional development (e.g. the Centre of Global Peace & Security Studies and/or the Centre for European and Global Diplomacy)
- Reinforce the Department’s emphasis on active exchanges between academia and the Brussels-based policy-maker world and contribute to organizing events, workshops and initiatives relevant for the department
- Within 1-2 years, the post-holder is expected to play a major role in the Department’s Management
Main Qualifications and Expertise:
- PhD in International Relations or Political Science (completed by the time of the appointment in August 2016)
- A strong commitment to teaching excellence and continuous improvement in the area of innovative and student-centred teaching/learning strategies
- Excellent teaching evaluations and evidence of effective, interactive and engaging teaching in English
- Proven track-record of internationally peer-reviewed research or high research potential
- Ability to attract external funding and research grants
- Evidence of expertise in contributing to policy-oriented debates and exchanges with policy-makers and think tanks
- Strong sense of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Knowledge of, and experience in working within an international university environment is highly desired
The salary for this position at 600 level depends on the candidate’s level of experience.
Benefits include holiday allowance, end-of year bonus, hospitalisation insurance, public transport coverage, and a green campus with sports and restaurant facilities.
Full-time faculty members also receive contributions to travel and research-related costs as well as budgets for organizing conferences, workshops and events.
This position is envisaged to be permanent. Upon a positive evaluation of the candidate after one year, the contract will become permanent.
For further details on the position description, selection criteria and Vesalius College, please visit: http://www.vesalius.edu/vesalius-college/vacancies/
For questions about the position, please contact Dr. Svitlana Kobzar, Head of Department of International Affairs at email@example.com.
How to apply?
To apply, send your CV, a letter of motivation and a list of two referees by 4 March 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews with selected candidates will take place during April/May 2016. Envisaged starting date for this position will be 1st August 2016.