The Department of Arts and Humanities at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD), seeks to appoint a dynamic and talented academic in the area of International Studies.
UOWD currently offers a Master of International Studies, which is a multidisciplinary academic programme that brings together Political Science/IR, Sociology, Anthropology, Development Studies as well as Cultural Studies, Political Philosophy and Political Economy. The structure of the programme allows for interdisciplinary taught courses and research activity, in line with student interests, employer needs and both national and international trends.
The Department of Arts and Humanities currently houses a Master of International Studies and a Master of Media and Communications. There are also plans for a number of Bachelor programs in the Social Sciences (with about 4 possible majors in related fields). In addition to the two Master programmes, the Arts and Humanities team teach several undergraduate General Education Courses (GECs) (in Islamic Culture, Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology) to students majoring in UOWD’s other programs.
We are seeking an experienced academic in the broad area of International Studies with a PhD preferably in Political Science, Sociology or (the Anthropology of) Development Studies, from a recognised university. PhDs in Social Anthropology, Cultural Studies, International Law and Environmental Studies are also welcome. Preference will be given to applicants whose expertise and research is related to the MENA and South Asia region. This post is offered at either an Assistant or Associate Professor Grade, depending on experience and qualification. It is a fulltime position that requires the holder to contribute to the Faculty’s teaching, research and governance activities.
The applicant is expected to have teaching experience at a recognised higher education institution, along with a record of scholarly research and high quality publications in the relevant field.
Candidates with academic experience and research output and interests in any of the following areas are encouraged to apply:
- International Relations (esp. of the Middle East)
- Citizenship Studies (political philosophy)
- Anthropology of Middle East Societies
- Social Change and Development (Gulf and MENA)
- Political Economy of the MENA region
- Cultural Studies (Critical Theory)
- Environmental Studies
- International Law and Diplomacy
- Labour and Migration
- Social Movements, Youth and Gender Studies
The post-holder will also be expected to supervise final year Master thesis projects. He/She will be expected to fully engage in scholarly and research activities within the thriving faculty teams to produce high-impact research and deliver research-informed undergraduate and Master’s level teaching. The applicant is expected to have an experience of involvement in collaborative research with external organisations, and have a strong track record for dissemination of knowledge through recent publications in high impact international journals and international conferences.
As a Faculty member you will have an excellent research track record and will be required to demonstrate research leadership from the outset. You will be expected to raise the profile of the Faculty through external networking, and producing high impact, high profile publications. In addition, you will be expected to seek to gain your own research funding to develop/expand your role within the university.
The post-holder will be directly responsible to the Dean of the Faculty for the effective discharge of his/her duties. These duties are carried out within a team-based organisation. Further details of the post and job description are attached to this document.
Essential & Desirable Criteria
To qualify for the above role, candidate must have the following qualifications:
- PhD in relevant subject area, of International Studies or Political Science, Anthropology, Sociology, Cultural Studies
- Project supervision at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Evidence of research expertise in the major areas of International Studies (understood as political science, sociology, anthropology and political economy)
- Evidence of recent publications in international journals and international conferences.
- Involvement in research with recognised universities in the region and internationally
- A PhD that combines two of the fields mentioned in previous column, relating to the MENA(SA) region
- Ability to teach in the undergrad GECs (such as introductory sociology, as well as soon to be expanded social science subjects)
- Teaching relevant subjects in at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level
- Working in inter-disciplinary, collaborative research environments
- Experience of writing grant proposals and/or success in gaining external research funding (grant or industrial sponsor)
- PhD Supervision
- Experience of course administration and/or module leadership
- Invited talks and keynotes
The successful candidate will enjoy interaction with a professional and dynamic team of highly respected educators from over 42 different countries and exposure to students from over 105 nationalities.
The University offers an expatriate package which includes an attractive tax free salary. The expatriate package includes six weeks of paid leave per year, private medical for employee and eligible dependents, life and disability insurance and education allowance for dependents. The University is located in Knowledge Village, Dubai and has excellent teaching, learning and research facilities as well as a Library that meets international standards.
Closing Date: Saturday, 12 March 2016
Interested applicants must apply before the closing date by visiting our employment website at http://employment.uowdubai.ac.ae. A review of applications will begin after the closing date and will continue until the positions are filled.